Katy ATA Martial Arts
To build clear minds and strong bodies of children and adults by providing high quality Songahm Taekwondo instruction, in keeping with ATA standards, and having fun in the process.
We believe that Taekwondo should be fun and yet disciplined. The instructor’s presence should be dynamic and classes enjoyable. We believe in developing each student to the best of their abilities. We believe in the Karate for Kids program and it’s incentive system to reward good behavior and upright moral values both inside the school and in the community. We believe in involving parents and family members in the student’s development and progress, working as a team to accomplish goals.
We provide a family friendly environment where we nurture self esteem and improve self worth. Welcome to our ATA family!
ATA = GOOD GRADES
At our ATA Martial Arts Academy, we work to make sure our students not only receive Black Belts in Martial Arts, but they also receive Black Belt Grades in school. Our certified instructors will help stress the importance of studying and getting good grades. Call today and come and see why so many teachers and school principals are recommending our Martial Arts School to their students.
Katy ATA Martial Arts
Here Katy ATA Martial Arts, our staff is the secret to our student success. Each instructor has a rich background in martial arts and is eager to train the next generation of martial artists. Meet the team below!
Certified Head Instructor
Currently a 5th Degree Black Belt with the ATA, Carol is also an ATA-certified Head Instructor and a International Tournament Judge. She began Taekwondo training in September of 1993. She has been ranked among the Top 10 World Taekwondo competitors 8 times since 2000 and is a World Champion in Creative Weapons, a Silver Medalist in Creative Forms and a Bronze Medalist in Traditional Weapons along with being a 6-Time Texas State Champion.
Carol is a graduate of the ATA’s University program of Instructor preparation for School Ownership and Management. While her specialty is teaching the Tiny Tigers (Ages 3-6), she has also been certified by the ATA to teach the Pressure Point Control Tactics (PPCT) course for executive self defense, as well as the SHARP course for women. She holds certifications and teaches courses in Tai Chi, Ground Fighting, and the Ssahng Jeol Bong (Nunchakas), Jahng Bong (long Staff), Oh Song Do (Broadsword), and Bahng Mahng Ee (Fighting Stick). As part of her instructor duties, she maintains CPR and First Aid certifications and has participated in the Boy Scouts Youth Protection and Child Abuse Awareness program. Carol was born in Huntsville, Alabama and received her Bachelors Degree from Hood College in Frederick, Maryland. She is the President of Katy ATA, Inc. and is a Past President of the Katy chapter of Rotary International.
- Students and instructors should bow to the flags each time they enter or leave the classroom area to demonstrate respect to the instructors and fellow students.
- If students are late for class, they should ask permission to enter class.
- All students must turn their tracking card in for each class.
- Students will respond “Yes/No, Sir, or Ma’am” in conversation with instructors, stand respectfully and address them by their last name and proper title.
- Students should turn away from instructors and flags when adjusting their uniform or belt.
- Students are encouraged to participate in class enthusiastically, however they are to avoid unnecessary conversation.
- No student, regardless of rank, may instruct or correct another student without permission from the supervising instructor.
- A clean uniform is imperative in each class as a reflection of the student’s pride.
- Female students must wear a white T-shirt under their uniform.
- Students will not wear shoes on the workout floor.
- No jewelry shall be worn in class except for a wedding ring.
- All belts should be tied to hang evenly, as one side represents the mind and the other represents the body.
- Students may not engage in free sparring without all proper gear and direct supervision of an instructor.
- There will be no use of profanity on the school premises at any time.
- Permission of the student’s instructor is required before a student may attend another ATA school or martial arts function.
- High ranking visitors to the class should be greeted with appropriate respect; if class is in session, all members should immediately stop and bow.
- Students, parents and guests will should not converse with any person involved in a class session without permission from the instructor.
- No food, drink, or gum may be consumed on the workout area.
- Place clothes neatly and quietly in the storage area.
- There will be no use of alcohol or tobacco products of any kind while wearing a Taekwondo Uniform or before a Taekwondo function such as class, tournaments, testings, etc.
Katy ATA Martial Arts
The concept of belts and rank is probably one that most people associate with Taekwondo and martial arts in general, even if they only have a passing interest in the subject. In Songahm Taekwondo, our belts reflect a member’s proven level of competence and (just as importantly) the progression of colors reflects an inner journey that never truly ends. Each belt achieved is truly an accomplishment worthy of respect. It is also worth noting that achieving a belt isn’t just a matter of “spending enough time” in a previous belt. In order to achieve their next rank, a student must demonstrate their proficiency in their current belt’s techniques, to include Basic Moves, Sparring and Forms.
Katy ATA Martial Arts
All goals require a poom-sae or pattern. Even in life we have structured patterns. When you’re born, you learn communication and basic skills in the home. A few years later, you are enrolled into kindergarten or elementary school. Following this comes high school. During high school, we begin to decide the direction we will take in life. We choose a college and/or a career goal. This is the pattern of the first part of our life. If you choose a good pattern, you can be a success. If your pattern is poor, you may not be as successful in your life endeavors.
Similarly, your chances of success in Songahm Taekwondo are much greater by following the solid series of patterns (forms) we have developed for our students.
Fantastic Martial Arts School with awesome staff and students !! Great location, great viewing area for parents and friends to watch. Super job 5th Degree Black Belt Owner Ms. Carol Frentz !
Awesome! Wonderful experience with excellent teachers in a very supportive yet structured environment.
What a great group of leaders for my kids! Just a phenomenal Taekwondo school!
We have been with ATA for 7years. They really make you feel like a family. I highly recommend them
I am so thankful you started a women's Self Defense and training group. I never thought I would be able to do anything, let alone learn how to do kicks and break boards. Alicia is the best teacher and is always so encouraging!
Excellent, I really enjoy the instructor implementing exercise, cardio, stretching and self defense in one workout. I very much look forward to Tuesday's & Thursday's morning's feeling it's positive environment & energy.
Best Taekwondo school in Katy/Houston! If you want your children to learn self defense, discipline and how to be a great kid, then come to Katy ATA Black Belt Academy!!